2012 Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge
• 2012 Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge GB kicks off at Snetterton, Norfolk, on April 7/8
• The GT3 Cup Challenge spans 12 races for 911 GT3 Cup race cars from 2009 or earlier
• The overall Champion will drive away in a new Cayman S at the end of the year
• Race information and updates available on porsche.co.uk/gt3cup
The Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge starts this weekend when the 12 race series starts at Snetterton, Norfolk, on April 7/8.
Lining up will be pre-season pace setter James Birch, who previously ran strongly in the Formula Renault BARC Championship. The 22 year-old racer from Amersham set the pace during the recent pre-season test day at Silverstone and his IN2 Racing entry should be right at the head of the action at Snetterton.
Fresh from the opening races in the Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch, Team Parker Racing will field three cars at Snetterton for Steven Liquorish, Neil Houston and Justin Sherwood. Silverstone-based Scotsman Houston will make his Porsche racing debut after previously campaigning Ginettas, while Liquorish already has a year’s experience under his belt in these cars.
Another team running in both the Carrera Cup GB and the GT3 Cup Challenge is Parr Motorsport and they will be supporting Peter Smallwood as he starts his third season of racing with his 997-model 911 GT3 Cup. Also racing in Class 1 for the 997-model cars is John Ferguson in one of the cars entered by Dublin-based Ask Racing.
Mark Cowne contests Class 2 for the earlier 996-model cars with a car tended by Silverstone-based Fearn Sport.
GT3 Cup Challenge
Open to any 911 GT3 Cup race car from the 2009 model year or earlier, the series is designed to be a perfect stepping stone for drivers aiming to move up to the Porsche Carrera Cup GB in subsequent seasons. It is also ideally suited to younger racers with some sponsorship backing, as well as competitors graduating from track days. The series is open to drivers with a National B race licence.
At the end of the season, the GT3 Cup Challenge Champion will be presented with a brand new Porsche Cayman S to use for 12 months. In addition, the Class 2 Champion (from among the earlier 996-model 911 GT3 Cup cars) will win two places on the exclusive GT course at the Porsche Experience Centre at Silverstone.
The new official website for the GT3 Cup Challenge GB can be found at porsche.co.uk/gt3cup.
* The latest Porsche models are designed to operate on fuels with an ethanol content of up to 10%. Data determined for standard specification and in the NEDC (New European Driving Cycle) in accordance with the Euro 5 (715/2007/EC and 692/2008/EC) measurement method. The figures do not refer to an individual vehicle nor do they constitute part of the offer. They are intended solely as a means of comparing different types of vehicle. You can obtain further information about individual vehicles from your Porsche Centre.
Consumption figures were obtained on the basis of standard equipment. Special equipment may affect consumption and performance.