- New Porsche 911 Carrera S awarded ‘Performance Car of the Year’ by What Car?
- Latest generation of benchmark sports coupe
- Lighter, more powerful, less fuel consumption, lower emissions
- Carrera costs from £71,449, Carrera S from £81,242
The new Porsche 911 Carrera S has been named ‘Performance Car of the Year’ at the annual What Car? Awards held in London last night.
Chas Hallett, What Car? Editor-in-Chief, commented: "Porsche has a real star in the latest generation of 911, and the Carrera S PDK is our top performance car. It's fast and involving enough for real fun on a twisty B-road, but it's enough of an all-rounder for long motorway runs or trips around town."
True to the 911 tradition, the new Carrera combines a powerful rear-mounted flat-six engine with the iconic 911 silhouette and adds more power and efficiency, up to 45kg lower weight and a host of new technologies to further enhance the sports car driving experience.
The 911 Carrera is powered by a 3.4-litre engine developing 350 hp and the Carrera S features a 400 hp 3.8-litre engine. These new engines offer performance improvements for both models; in the case of the 3.8-litre Carrera S, equipped with the Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) double-clutch transmission, can accelerate from 0-62mph in 4.3 sec and go on to 188mph. Fuel consumption of 32.4mpg Combined and CO2 emissions of 205 g/km emphasise further the efficiency of the new car. The new 911 Carrera is priced from £71,449, and went on sale in the UK on December 17.
The What Car? judges concluded: “The new 911 is truly the performance car that covers all the bases. Want to have a Sunday morning blast? It’ll make you feel like an undiscovered talent. Want to go to the shops? It’ll keep you calm and will have space for all those bags. Want to go to Nice? You’ll be there without feeling even slightly frazzled – and probably earlier than you expect. It does everything you could reasonably need, and it sounds great while doing so. Porsche has a real winner on its hands.”
Every new Porsche customer receives a complimentary three hour driving experience at the Porsche Experience Centre, Silverstone, to fully explore the dynamic qualities of their car – watch the new 911 in action at Silverstone here: http://origin.porsche.com/uk/videos/driven-the-new-porsche-911-at-silverstone
* The latest Porsche models are designed to operate on fuels with an ethanol content of up to 10%. Data determined for standard specification and in the NEDC (New European Driving Cycle) in accordance with the Euro 5 (715/2007/EC and 692/2008/EC) measurement method. The figures do not refer to an individual vehicle nor do they constitute part of the offer. They are intended solely as a means of comparing different types of vehicle. You can obtain further information about individual vehicles from your Porsche Centre.
Consumption figures were obtained on the basis of standard equipment. Special equipment may affect consumption and performance.