Hans-Joachim „Strietzel“ Stuck
Hans-Joachim Stuck is a legendary race-car driver and president of the DMSB, the German motorsports federation. A two-time winner of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, he has since retired but is still smitten with fast cars.
Residence: Ellmau, Austria
Profession: Race-car driver, racing official
1. What is love?
Love is when one person can make you happier than everyone else combined.
2. How are you?
3. How would you describe a
A legend on wheels—simply awesome.
4. Which very simple things can make you very happy?
5. What would you never do in a 911?
Eat ice cream.
6. What’s your favorite road?
One you can drift on.
7. What can distract you?
Not what, but who—definitely my wife.
8. Three things you would take to a deserted island?
My wife, my dog, and a
9. Whom or what do you admire?
My mother, who died at ninety-three—the most positive person I’ve ever met.
10. What on a 911 could you do without?
The glove compartment lid.
11. And what couldn’t you?
12. What music did you wake up to this morning?
“No Roots” by Alice Merton.
13. Your favorite film?
The Revenant—with Leonardo DiCaprio.
14. Your favorite book?
Das Seerosen-Prinzip: Wie uns die Gier ruiniert by Daniel Goeudevert (“The water lily principle: How greed destroys us”).
15. Your latest social media post?
A photo in New York with Frank Stella.
16. Your most treasured possession?
Daddy’s original signet ring.
17. Coffee or tea?
18. The 911 moment of your life?
Every moment in a 911 is magical.
19. Your best advice?
Happy wife, happy life.
20. What would no one expect of you?
Deep thoughts, and the ability to make Kaiserschmarrn, an Austrian dessert.
Photo by Thorsten Doerk