• 19 year-old Daniel Lloyd from Huddersfield is the winner of the 2012 Porsche Carrera Cup GB Scholarship
• Run by Porsche Cars GB, the aim of the Scholarship is to assist a talented young driver to make the step up to the Porsche Carrera Cup GB Championship
• Lloyd was chosen from four finalists to receive the £80,000 prize contribution to his Carrera Cup GB racing budget for 2012
• Watch all the action from the Scholarship assessment on Origin
After a day of demanding evaluation at the Porsche Experience Centre at Silverstone on Monday (31 October), 19 year-old Daniel Lloyd has been selected as the winner of 2012 Porsche Carrera Cup GB Scholarship.
Lloyd, from Huddersfield, was chosen from four Scholarship finalists for the prize, which is topped by a massive £80,000 contribution to his Carrera Cup GB budget for 2012. In a unique initiative, the identity of the winner was unveiled on-line at 10:00 today (4 November) via Origin.
Lloyd was overjoyed when he watched the video clip and discovered that he had been selected.
“It really does mean everything to me to win the Scholarship,” he said. “I’ve never been so happy in my life. It is a huge deal; I’ve put so much effort into this and I’m so happy it has paid off. It has been a horrible week waiting for the result, and I was very emotional when they announced my name.“I really can’t stress how much this will change my life and career. Ever since I started racing on the BTCC package when I was 15, I always looked up to the Porsche Carrera Cup and thought it was what I wanted to do. Without the Scholarship, I wouldn’t be able to do the Carrera Cup next season, so it really does mean the world to me.“To get to where I am today has been a real team effort and I couldn’t have done it without the support of my parents,” he continued. “It will mean everything to them as well; they are very supportive and they’d love to see me succeed in the Carrera Cup.”“The four finalists were all excellent candidates,” said Marion Barnaby, Championship Manager Porsche Carrera Cup GB. “It was a very tough decision for the judging panel, but Daniel impressed in all areas and I believe he will be a very worthy 2012 Scholar.”
The four finalists – Daniel Lloyd, Tom Ingram, Ollie Millroy and Jody Fannin - completed a rigorous evaluation process, including driving the latest 450 hp 911 GT3 Cup race car on the Silverstone National circuit. They also were put through panel interviews, media assessment and a daunting programme of fitness testing.
The Porsche Carrera Cup GB is the fastest single marque racing Championship in the UK, and supports the British Touring Car Championship.
© 2014 Porsche Cars Great Britain Ltd. Legal notice.
* The latest Porsche models are designed to operate on fuels with an ethanol content of up to 10%. Data determined for standard specification and in the NEDC (New European Driving Cycle) in accordance with the Euro 5 and Euro 6 (715/2007/EC and 692/2008/EC) measurement method. The figures do not refer to an individual vehicle nor do they constitute part of the offer. They are intended solely as a means of comparing different types of vehicle. You can obtain further information about individual vehicles from your Porsche Centre.
Consumption figures were obtained on the basis of standard equipment. Special equipment may affect consumption and performance.