Austrian Clemens Schmid grabbed pole position for the eighth time this season as he comfortably topped the qualifying session for the penultimate round of the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Middle East at Bahrain International Circuit this afternoon.
Aiming for his fifth race victory of the 2011-12 campaign, Schmid set a fastest lap time of 2:05.347 to comfortably lead the qualifying standings for Round 11 ahead of UAE drivers Karim Al Azhari, 2:06.337, and Musaed Al Murar, 2:06.658.
Saudi Arabia’s newly-crowned champion Abdulaziz Al Faisal was fourth fastest in 2:06.948, while Swiss driver Armin Schmid, 2:07.050, and another Saudi, Saeed Al Mouri, 2:07.300, completed the top six.
Both Round 11 to follow and tomorrow’s final round of the Porsche GT3 Cup series are being run on the Grand Prix circuit as a dress rehearsal for next month’s Formula One Bahrain Grand Prix.
1. Clemens Schmid (AUT) 2:05.347
2. Karim Al Azhari (UAE) Al Nabooda Racing 2:06.337
3. Musaed Al Murar (UAE) 2:06.658
4. Abdulaziz Al Faisal (KSA) Saudi Falcons 2:06.948
5. Armin Schmid (CH) Team TCE 2:07.050
6. Saeed Al Mouri KSA) Saudi Falcons 2:07.300
7. Bandar Alesayi (KSA) Saudi GT Racing 2:07.533
8. Hannes Waimer (GER) Team TCE 2:07.712
9. Rob Frijns (NL) Frins Structural Steel 2:07.956
10. Saadon Al Kuwari (QAT) Gerbhard Motor Sport ME 2:07.997