Saudi Arabia’s Prince Abdulaziz Al Faisal recorded a comprehensive victory in Round 5 of the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Middle East at Yas Marina Circuit today to increase his lead in the championship.
Chasing his second GT3 Cup title in three years, Prince Abdulaziz had a winning margin of just over eight seconds from fellow-Saudi Bandar Alesayi who now trails him by six points in the 12-round title race.
Belgian driver Stephane Lemeret grabbed the other podium position for Dubai-based Al Nabooda Racing while Austrian Clemens Schmid plunged from contention when he suffered a drive through penalty after starting the race in pole position, eventually finishing sixth.
He was forced to take a mandatory drive into the pits for a track infringement after forcing Prince Abdulaziz wide on turn two on the first of 14 laps.
There was also disappointment for Oman’s Ahmad Al Harthy who lost third place to Lemeret when he spun off the track on lap 11. Saudi’s Saeed Al Mouri completed the top six.
After finishing eighth overall, Qatar’s Saadon Al Kuwari tops the newly established Michelin Silver Trophy standings in the intermediate class, while Saudi’s Fawaz Algosaibi now leads the bronze level Mobil 1 Trophy for drivers over 45.
The Porsche one-make series reaches the half way point tomorrow (Friday) when Alesayi, Al Harthy, Lemeret and first round winner Schmid will all be chasing pole position to grab an advantage over Prince Abdulaziz in Round 6.
1. Abdulaziz Al Faisal (KSA) Saudi Falcons 27:59.363
2. Bandar Alesayi (KSA) Alesayi Racing 28:07.621
3. Stephane Lemeret (BEL) Al Nabooda Racing 28:09.981
4. Ahmad Al Harthy (OM) Oman Air Racing 28:20.752
5. Saeed Al Mouri KSA) Saudi Falcons 28:28.922
6. Clemens Schmid (AUT) 28:31.871
7. Armin Schmid (CH) Team TCE 28:38.511
8. Saadon Al Kuwari (QAT) 28:44.436
9. Hans Guido Riegel (GER) Haribo Racing 28:49.929
10. Fawaz Algosaibi (KSA) ClassicArabia Racing 29:14.629
1. Abdulaziz Al Faisal (KSA) Saudi Falcons 92pts
2. Bandar Alesayi (KSA) Alesayi Racing 86pts
3. Ahmad Al Harthy (OM) Oman Air Racing 80pts
4. Stephane Lemeret (BEL) Al Nabooda Racing 74pts
5. Saeed Al Mouri KSA) Saudi Falcons 58pts
6. Saadon Al Kuwari (QA) 42pts
7. Hans Guido Riegel (GER) Haribo Racing 31pts
8. Clemens Schmid (AUT) 30pts
9. Armin Schmid CH Team TCE 29pts
10. Mark Thomas (CAN) 27pts
1. Saddon Al Kuwari (QA) 42pts
2. Hans Guido Riegel (GER) Haribo Racing 31pts
3. Armin Schmid CH Team TCE 29pts
4. Mark Thomas (CAN) 27pts
1. Fawaz Algosaibi (KSA) ClassicArabia Racing 25pts
2. Hannes Waimer (GER) 23pts
3. Rob Frijns (NL) 16pts
4. Manfred Ender (AUT) 13pts
5. Jaber Al Khalifa (BAH) 7pts
6. Cengiz J.Oguzhan (TUR) 5pts