Austrian Clemens Schmid snatched pole position for Round 7 of the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Middle East today after a dramatic battle with local hero Abdulaziz Al Faisal at Reem International Circuit outside Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The two drivers both clocked identical best lap times of 1:15.783 in the afternoon qualifying session, and after some initial confusion it was Schmid who earned the right to be ahead on the starting grid because he was the first to achieve the time.
Bandar Alesayi, lying second in the Porsche GT3 Cup title race, was third fastest in 1:16.247, ahead of fellow-Saudi Saeed Al Mouri, 1:17.092, and Karim Al Azhari, 1:17.148.
Qatar’s Saadon Al Kuwari, leading the Michelin Silver Trophy standings, completed the top six with a time of 1:17.235.
1. Clemens Schmid (AUT) 1:15.783
2. Abdulaziz Al Faisal (KSA) Saudi Falcons 1:15.783
3. Bandar Alesayi (KSA) Saudi GT Racing 1:16.247
4. Saeed Al Mouri KSA) Saudi Falcons 1:17.092
5. Karim Al Azhari (UAE) Al Nabooda Racing 1:17.148
6. Saddon Al Kuwari (QAT) 1:17.235
7. Faisal Binladen (KSA) Saudi Falcons 1:17.373
8. Armin Schmid (CH) Team TCE 1:17.459
9. Manfred Ender (AUT) Frins Structural Steel 1:18.102
10. Rob Frijns (NL) Frins Structural Steel 1:18.871
11. Hannes Waimer (GER) Team TCE 1:18.980
12. Shk Hamad Isa Al Khalifa (BAH) Saudi GT Racing 1:19.131