Austrian Clemens Schmid grabbed pole position for Round 10 of the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Middle East tonight as strong winds continued to make driving conditions difficult at Qatar’s Losail International Circuit.
Schmid, just as he had done 24 hours earlier, set the fastest lap time of 2:01.131 to head the qualifying session ahead of Saudi Arabia’s Abdulaziz Al Faisal, 2:01.932, yesterday’s race winner and the 24-point championship leader.
Oman’s Ahmad Al Harthy was third fastest in 2:02.089, followed by the UAE’s Karim Al Azhari, 2:02.319, Bandar Alesayi, 2:02.562 and another UAE driver Musaed Al Murar, 2:02.652.
1. Clemens Schmid (AUT) 2:01.131
2. Abdulaziz Al Faisal (KSA) Saudi Falcons 2:01.932
3. Ahmad Al Harthy (OM) Oman Air Racing 2:02.089
4. Karim Al Azhari (UAE) Al Nabooda Racing 2:02.319
5. Bandar Alesayi (KSA) Saudi GT Racing 2:02.562
6. Musaed Al Murar (UAE) 2:02.652
7.Saeed Al Mouri KSA) Saudi Falcons 2:03.234
8. Saddon Al Kuwari (QAT) Gerbhard Motor Sport ME 2:03.546
9. Charlie Frijns (NED) Frins Structural Steel 2:03.638
10. Armin Schmid (SUI) Team TCE 2:03.837