With powerful winds gusting across the Losail International Circuit, Austrian Clemens Schmid recorded the fastest time in official practice today for Round 10 of the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Middle East.
Schmid, placed second in the previous round last night after starting in pole position, set a practice lap time of 2:02.387 to head the session ahead of Saudi Arabia’s runaway championship leader Abdulaziz Al Faisal, 2:03.048, yesterday’s race winner.
Lying second in the championship, Bandar Alesayi, 2:03.749, was third fastest ahead of Omani Ahmad Al Harthy, 2:03.913, the UAE’s Karim Al Azhari, 2:04.114, and Saeed Al Mouri, 2:04.272.
High winds produced testing conditions during the practice session, cutting speeds on the home straight by 8km from the previous day and making handling of the Porsche GT3 Cup cars especially challenging.
1. Clemens Schmid (AUT) 2:02.387
2. Abdulaziz Al Faisal (KSA) Saudi Falcons 2:03.048
3. Bandar Alesayi (KSA) Saudi GT Racing 2:03.749
4. Ahmad Al Harthy (OM) Oman Air Racing 2:03.913
5. Karim Al Azhari (UAE) Al Nabooda Racing 2:04.114
6.Saeed Al Mouri KSA) Saudi Falcons 2:04.272
7. Musaed Al Murar (UAE) 2:04.288
8. Charlie Frijns (NED) Frins Structural Steel 2:04.548
9. Saddon Al Kuwari (QAT) Gerbhard Motor Sport ME 2:05.056
10. Abdul Rahman Al Thani (QAT) 2:05.506