Austrian Clemens Schmid edged out Saudi Arabia’s championship leader, Prince Abdulaziz Al Faisal, to grab pole position for Round 5 of the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Middle East at Yas Marina Circuit today.
Schmid, first-round winner in the Porsche one-make series, set the fastest time in this afternoon’s qualifying session in Abu Dhabi, clocking 1:58.230, ahead of Prince Abdulaziz, 1:58.803.
Belgian driver Stephane Lemeret, aiming to give Dubai-based Al Nabooda Racing their first GT3 Cup victory, was third fastest in 1:59.394, from Oman’s Ahmad Al Harthy, 1:59.483, who had been quickest in the morning’s official practice session.
Saudi drivers Bandar Alesayi, 1:59.550, and Saeed Al Mouri, 2:00.174, completed the top six, and the stage was set for a fiercely competitive Round 5 later in the afternoon.
1. Clemens Schmid (AUT) 1:58.230
2. Abdulaziz Al Faisal (KSA) Saudi Falcons 1:58.803
3. Stephane Lemeret (BEL) Al Nabooda Racing 1:59.394
4. Ahmad Al Harthy (OM) Oman Air Racing 1:59.483
5. Bandar Alesayi (KSA) Alesayi Racing 1:59.550
6. Saeed Al Mouri KSA) Saudi Falcons 2:00.174
7. Armin Schmid (CH) Team TCE 2:00.988
8. Saadon Al Kuwari (QAT) 2:01.684
9. Hans Guido Riegel (GER) Haribo Racing 2:01.769
10. Manfred Ender (AUT) Frins Structural Steel 2:03.236
11. Fawaz Algosaibi (KSA) ClassicArabia Racing 2:03.925
12. Cengiz J.Oguzhan (TUR) 2:05.213