Austrian Clemens Schmid recorded the fastest time in official practice today for Round 9 of the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Middle East as the series made its first appearance at Qatar’s Losail International Circuit.
It marked another milestone for the Porsche one-make series which has now united all five of the region’s top race circuits, having already become a familiar attraction in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Bahrain and Reem in Saudi Arabia.
Schmid, the winner of three rounds so far in the 12-round championship, set a practice lap time of 2:01.644 to comfortably top the session ahead of Oman’s Ahmad Al Harthy, 2:02.546, and Saudi’s Bandar Alesayi, 2:02.588, currently lying second in the standings.
UAE drivers Karim Al Azhari, 2:02.660, and Musaed Al Murar, 2:03.076, along with championship leader Abdulaziz Al Faisal, 2:03.810, completed the top six as the GT3 Cup cars prepared for a first ever night race under the Losail circuit’s lights.
1. Clemens Schmid (AUT) 2:01.644
2. Ahmad Al Harthy (OM) Oman Air Racing 2:02.546
3. Bandar Alesayi (KSA) Saudi GT Racing 2:02.588
4. Karim Al Azhari (UAE) Al Nabooda Racing 2:02.660
5. Musaed Al Murar (UAE) 2:03.076
6. Abdulaziz Al Faisal (KSA) Saudi Falcons 2:03.810
7.Saeed Al Mouri KSA) Saudi Falcons 2:03.993
8. Saddon Al Kuwari (QAT) Gerbhard Motor Sport ME 2:04.304
9. Abdul Rahman Al Thani (QAT) 2:04.747
10. Armin Schmid (CH) Team TCE 2:04.992
* These data were obtained using the Euro 5 measurement method (715/2007/EC and 692/2008/EC) in the NEDC (New European Driving Cycle) with standard equipment. The information does not refer to an individual vehicle and is not part of the offer, but is simply provided so that comparisons can be made between different types of vehicle. Further, up to date information on the individual vehicles can be obtained from your Porsche Centre.
Consumption figures were obtained on the basis of standard equipment. Special equipment may affect consumption and performance.