Home

Hoofdnavigatie
Modellen
911
Panamera
The history of Porsche production

The history of Porsche production

"Steel and iron works combine" is what Ferry Porsche and around 200 comrades-in-arms at the time called the wooden huts, a former sawmill in the Austrian town of Gmünd, into which father and son moved Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche KG from Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen during the War (1944). This is where the first Porsche, the 356 Number 1, was created in 1948. Fifty-two Porsche 356s were built in Gmünd. In the summer of 1949, a dozen Porsche employees started the relocation of the production site back to Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen, which was sublet from Reutter. In Zuffenhausen the success story of Porsche continued. At the beginning of 1950 series production of the Porsche 356 started with 400 vehicles being produced by the end of the year. Porsche production was continually expanded. The introduction of the Porsche 911 in 1963 marked a milestone in Porsche development.

The factory premises were enlarged considerably in May 1969 with the new multistory assembly operation on Schwieberdinger Straße. In 1988, the new body shell assembly building was added opposite the assembly hall.

Production technology has also changed somewhat over the last 50 years. In the meantime, a modern and flexible factory has developed from a series production process completed by hand. The honor "Factory of the year 1996", awarded by the German weekly publication "Produktion" and the management consulting firm A.T. Kearney, was received in Zuffenhausen as confirmation of their hard work and dedication.