Porsche works driver Patrick Long (USA) secured a good starting position for the six hour race in Laguna Seca/California. With the Porsche 911 GT3 RSR fielded by Flying Lizard Motorsports, which he shares with his factory pilot colleague Joerg Bergmeister (Germany), Long turned the fourth quickest qualifying time in the GT class for round three of the American Le Mans Series. On the challenging course near Monterey, all four Porsche 911 GT3 RSR vehicles run by Porsche customer squads compete for the first time with a new aero kit.
“The car felt really good,” said Patrick Long, who has already claimed victories at this race with Joerg Bergmeister in 2005, 2009 and 2010. “We are competing with a new aerodynamic kit here for the first time and we’ve improved from practice to practice. We’re still learning a lot about it.”
At the wheel of Falken Tire’s Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, Bryan Sellers (USA) clinched ninth on the grid ahead of Sascha Maassen (Germany) in the 911 run by Paul Miller Racing. Team owner Seth Neiman (USA) planted the second Flying Lizard Porsche 911 GT3 RSR on twelfth.
The race in Laguna Seca starts on Saturday, 12 May, at 13.30 hrs local time (22.30 hrs CEST) and is broadcast live on www.americanlemans.com.
1. Darren Turner (GB), Aston Martin Vantage, 1:22.229 minutes
2. Tommy Milner (USA), Chevrolet Corvette, + 0.432 seconds
3. Jörg Müller (D)), BMW E92 M3, + 0.686
4. Patrick Long (USA), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, + 0.690
5. Antonio Garcia (E), Chevrolet Corvette, + 0.690
6. Johannes van Overbeek (USA), Ferrari F458 Italia, + 0.694
9. Bryan Sellers (USA), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, + 1.137
10. Sascha Maassen (D), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, + 1.229
12. Seth Neiman (USA), Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, + 4.568
1. Damien Faulkner (IRL), Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, 1:27.495 minutes